Decentralized finance (DeFi) lending platforms are seeing record-shattering volumes of liquidations. In the past 24 hours, DeFi liquidations have surpassed $39.25 million according to data from OKLink, a multi-chain blockchain explorer. DeFi lending protocol Aave has seen the most loan liquidations among lending platforms.
DeFi liquidations in the last 24 hours nearing alarming multi-month high levels
According to data from OKLink, DeFi lending liquidations in the last 24 hours have reached levels last seen in December last year. There have been over $39 million in DeFi liquidations across DeFi lending protocols. Ethereum based lending protocol, Aave has been the single biggest contributor to the metric having seen over $25 million worth of liquidations (over 60% of the total).
The daily move in liquidation has surpassed the total DeFi liquidations recorded in October and November which recorded $32.48 million and $33.77 million respectively according to data from The Block. However, the highest liquidations recorded on DeFi platforms was in May last year which saw $1.33 billion in liquidation.
DeFi lending liquidation has parallels with traditional bank loans. It is similar to how banks liquidate a borrower’s collateral to pay off loans in case of default to cover the loan. DeFi lending platforms allow users to deposit their cryptocurrency as collateral and borrow against it. Liquidations occur when the price of the collateral reaches the liquidation price and the protocol sells off the asset to pay off the loan automatically.
What has caused the current liquidation cascade?
The current liquidation has been spurred on by market volatility. The crypto market cap dropped 11.23% to currently stand at $1.81 trillion per Coinmarketcap (CMC) data. The sharp drop has wiped off over $230 from the crypto market. Ethereum, the major facilitator of DeFi lending platforms, saw its price drop 13.79% to currently be trading at around $2,700.
The market bloodbath has also seen massive liquidations recorded in the crypto derivatives market. At the time of writing, the crypto futures market has recorded over $875 million per data from Coinglass. Over 85% of the liquidations have been long positions getting wiped out.
The crypto market crash has been attributed to fear, uncertainty, and doubt emanating from various recent regulatory announcements about crypto. Russia revealed plans to ban the use of crypto and crypto mining. The US Securities and Exchange Commission also recently stated that it would focus on regulating crypto exchanges in 2022.
- DeFi’s Liquidation Volume Hits $34.33 M ATH, The Highest Since Last year’s December
- Portugal opens First Physical Store for Buying and Selling of Bitcoin
- “This Irritates Me”- Elon Musk Slams Twitter’s Integration Of NFTs
- Crypto Mayhem Grips Markets, $230 Billion Decimated In Massive Red Friday Selloff
- New York City Mayor Eric Adams to Buy Bitcoin (BTC) and Ethereum (ETH) Dips Today
- Shiba Inu (SHIB) Sagging Values To Get A Boost With New Token Burn Mechanism?
- U.S. Fed Releases New Whitepaper for CBDC Digital Dollar, Kickstarts Debate
- Crypto Market Flash Crash: Bitcoin (BTC) Down 8%, Ethereum (ETH) And Altcoins Follow
- Breaking: Twitter Integrates NFT Profile Pictures and Crypto Wallets On IOS
- El Salvador wants to give small businesses access to Bitcoin-backed loans
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?