Chainalysis’s recent survey says, “In 2021, the net value of cryptocurrency authorized by illicit addresses escalated a new all-time high of $14 billion.” Compared to 2021, this record high is nearly twice the $7.8 billion. It constitutes just 0.15% of the 2021 cryptocurrency transaction volume.
Funds Pushed to Illicit Marks Fall
Cryptocurrency-related crimes’ utility recorded in 2021 overflew to a new all-time high of $14 billion. This new high is almost double that was addressed by illicit in 2021, i.e., $7.8 billion.
As per Chainalysis data, “this increase in funds’ value relocated to illicit addresses is still much below the average growth of the crypto economy.” In line with a recent blog post anatomizing the crypto economy’s 2021 transaction volume of $15.8 trillion, the blockchain research firm – Chainalysis declared, “The increase in value of funds transferred to illicit addresses doesn’t necessarily indicate criminals influence the space. Instead, this growth hints at the width of crypto-economy expansion in the last 12 months.”
To sum up, the blog post denotes the 567% growth in crypto transaction volume. The analysis service links this growth to the increasing value of cryptocurrencies.
Chainalysis even proposes its opinion on the expanding gap between illicit activity volume and legitimate volume. It says, “With the expansion of legitimate cryptocurrency usage, the growth of criminal usage is out spaced, but illicit activity’s share of cryptocurrency transaction volume has never suffered a drop down.”
Crypto Crime Obstructs Adoption
To verify that the illicit activity’s share of cryptocurrency transaction volume is declining, Chainalysis attributes data showing crime-related data, which is a mere 0.15% of 2021 volumes. This percentage is much lower than the 0.62% recorded in 2020 and the 3.37% recorded in 2019.
- SEC Charges Crypto Firm Crowd Machine Founder With ‘Fraud and Unregistered’ ICO Offering
- AMC To Accept Dogecoin And Shiba Inu Cryptocurrency Payments in 2022
- “You don’t have to root for XRP, but you have to root against the SEC” reckons Ripple Attorney John Deaton
- PayPal Considering Launching Its Own Cryptocurrency, ‘PayPal Coin’
- Ethereum’s DeFi Market Dominance in 2022 Could Be At A Risk, Will It Affect ETH Price?
- Analyst highlights Key Bullish Catalyst for Bitcoin this Year
- GameStop Shares Surge 20% After NFT Marketplace Launch, Crypto Partnerships News
- Bitcoin Fear and Greed Index and RSI Suggest We Are Oversold, Time to Buy the Dip?
- Steve Hanke pokes at President Nayib Bukele for gambling in Bitcoin, while El Salvador’s debt rises
- These U.K Lawmakers Have Created A Group To Champion Crypto Cause In The U.K
- Hedera Price Analysis: HBAR Coin Bulls Struggles To Surpass The $0.323 Resistance
- Polygon Price Analysis: MATIC Coin Hints Bullish Reversal From The $2 Mark
- Cosmos Price Analysis: ATOM Recovery Rally Challenges The $44.7 All-Time High Resistance
- Bitcoin (BTC) price likely to bottom between $42k-$37.5k, here’s why
- Decentraland Price Analysis: MANA Token Survive Crypto Bloodbath With Its Bear Trap
- DOGE, SHIB, FLOKI Price Prediction: Crypto Crash Or A time To Buy?
- XRP Price Prediction: Ripple Could Drop 9% Further After Failing To Hold On To $0.75
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Bloodbath On Crypto Market Triggers Fallout From Descending Wedge Pattern
- FTT Price Analysis: Rising RSI Slope In FTX Token Hints Upcoming Bullish Rally
- LRC Price Analysis: Boom in Selling Pressure Teases Flag Pattern Fallout