Solana (SOL), the fifth-largest cryptocurrency by market cap and one of the biggest gainers in 2021 has reportedly faced another distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack. A DDoS attack usually sends multiple requests to the attacked web resource – to exceed the platform’s capacity to handle multiple requests… and prevent the platform from functioning correctly.
The Solana network reportedly went down again marking the third incident of its kind over the past six months. The downtime started earlier this morning and the network went up again at around 7 o’clock (UTC+8) and currently functioning normally.
It was fixed after 7 o'clock (UTC+8) and returned to normal.
— Wu Blockchain (@WuBlockchain) January 4, 2022
The growing number of DDoS attacks on the SOL network is believed to originate from fundamental flaws in its blockchain. A Grayscale security report from December 2021 highlighted that SOL uses a new blockchain technology that is not widely used, and may not function as intended. There may be flaws in the cryptography underlying the network, including flaws that affect the functionality of the SOL Network or make the network vulnerable to attack.
Can Solana overcome the technical flaws?
The Solana network first went down for more than 24-hours and even after multiple attempts to fix it, the developers had to eventually restart the network. While the core team of Solana has played down these attacks, the community thinks Solana needs to work on the fundamental flaws. The altcoin had a phenomenal 2021 despite minor ups and downs, but a potential DDoS attack at the start of the year again highlighted that the network is still vulnerable.
SOL reached a new all-time high of $260 in November this year and is currently down by 35% from the top. The altcoin is currently trading at $167 with a 3% decline over the past 24-hours. The current downtrend in Solana’s price is a result of the overall bearish market and the DDoS attack seems to have had little impact until now.
- Solana (SOL) faces another potential DDoS attack; network goes down
- Chainlink (LINK) and Fantom (FTM) Altcoins Register Strong Rally, Here’s What’s cooking
- Shiba Inu (SHIB) Decimates Over 125 Million SHIB Within Last Five Day
- Apple (AAPL) Holds the Edge By Outperforming Bitcoin (BTC) On Yearly Chart
- Bitcoin Trumps Gold and 16 others to become Best Performing Asset Class
- Eminem Buys Bored Ape NFT for $450,000
- Samsung Reveals ‘Groundbreaking’ New TV Feature With NFT Trading Support
- South Korean Presidential Candidate To Use NFTs To Raise Campaign Funds, Here’s Why
- Founder of Nexo Brands Bitcoin as advanced gold, predicts price will hit $100,000 in Q2
- Breaking: Estonia is not banning cryptocurrencies; finance minister clarifies rumors
- AAVE Price Analysis: A Descending Trendline Threatens Bearish Reversal In AAVE Token
- Price Analysis: Cosmos Secures Multi-Week High While Algorand Eyes A 9% Hike
- ENJ Price Analysis: A Cup And Handle Pattern Could Lead 40% Gain In Enjin Coin
- Terra Price Analysis: LUNA Coin Could Reclaim The Three-Digit Milestone
- Price Analysis: Harmony Displayed A Death Cross While Spell Token Trades Restrictively
- Curve DAO Price Analysis: New Year Brings New Trading Levels In CRV Token
- Chainlink And Uniswap Price Analysis: Coins Display Bullish Preference Amidst Broader Market Weakness
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Hidden RSI Divergence In BTC Coin Hints Rally To $53000 Mark
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Falling Wedge Pattern Extends The Correction For ETH Coin
- Cosmos Price Analysis: New Year Brings 30% Growth Opportunity In ATOM Coin